Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Salmon Marsala - and Omega-3 Fatty Acids!

While researching for work (I'm a professional health writer), I was reading up on omega-3 fatty acids and how beneficial they are for you. According to the Whole Foods (my favorite organic grocery) website, omega-3s may help prevent cardiovascular disease, asthma, arthritis, and even depression. Unfortunately, most Americans don't get enough in their diet, because we typically eat more meats than we do fish.

Salmon, my favorite fish in the world, is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids. Eating, rather than taking supplements, helps absorption of omega-3s into your system. 

I won't bore you with anymore health talk, since this is a cooking blog and all. But after I started reading more and more about omega-3 fatty acids, I decided I needed to try to cook and eat more fish. 


Fish has never been my forte, because I have a harder time knowing when it is "cooked." Everyone says "flaky" is often the sign that fish is ready to be eaten, but you don't know what "flaky" looks like until you have had several disasters in the kitchen.

Tonight for dinner, I decided to use what I had in refrigerator. I could have simply seared the salmon with salt and pepper, and eaten it on top of a salad... but where is the fun in that? Since I am a creative cook, I decided to attempt "Salmon Marsala" from Emeril's classic "Chicken Marsala." I made a few tweaks of my own, but here it is.

(Sorry about the generic stock photo with this post. My digital camera is out of batteries, and my cell phone apparently did not save the photo that I had snapped... And now that I've eaten this delicious meal, I can't snap another photo.) 

Salmon Marsala for Two
(Serving size: 2) 

Ingredients
1/2 cup all-purpose flour1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 salmon steaks
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup sliced button mushrooms
3/4 cup dry red wine
1 cup chicken stock
Salt and pepper, to taste 

Directions 

In a plate, combine the Creole seasoning and all-purpose flour. Drench the salmon steaks in the seasoned flour mixture. 

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add the salmon steaks and sear on both sides until both sides are brown. Transfer to another plate and set aside.

In the same skillet, add the chopped garlic and mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are golden brown and the edges have given off liquid. Add the red wine and chicken stock, and cook until the sauce has thickened slightly. 

After sauce has thickened, lower the head to medium. Return salmon steaks to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add salt and black pepper to taste.

Serve. Refrigerate leftovers.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home