Saturday, May 15, 2010

Baked Shrimp and Tomatoes with Penne Pasta

I've had a super exhausting day. I just became a foster mama to a new puppy that is one of the "Nashville flood" animal victims. I'll be taking care of "Harpeth" (5 or 6 month old boxer mix - female) for the next week. Next Saturday, she goes back to the Petco with the rest of other adoptable dogs from the animal rescue mission that I'm working with.

Here's a photo of my foster puppy:
 

Anyway, she is super needy. She has to be in the same room that I am in at all times, which can be a little exhausting at times. I am not used to having a dog, but I think she's simply the sweetest little girl. My cat, Mr. Pumpkin, seems to be getting along with the dog all right. A little jealous but I think he will cope.

So I decided to do something more simply tonight. Less hassle. I combined cooked shrimp (which I had in my freezer) with a can of tomatoes (tomatoes are high in antioxidants so they're very good for you), onion, garlic, and other herbs and spices. I also combined Parmesan cheese and feta cheese for a truly yummy taste.


Baked Shrimp and Tomatoes with Penne Pasta
Makes 3-4 servings.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 can of no-salt added diced tomatoes with their juices
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning
1/2 bay leaf
1/2 lb of raw (or cooked) shrimp, peeled and deveined 
2/3 cup crumbled feta
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 box (1 lb) penne pasta, cooked according to box directions


Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

In a skillet or saucepan, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the diced onions and cook until they are soft and fragrant. Add sliced garlic and cook for a minute or two, until they are browning at the edges.

Add the can of tomatoes and cook until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for several minutes, until the tomato juices thicken slightly.

Add the seasonings (Basil, Creole seasoning, and bay leaf) to the tomato mixture. Stir until it is well-blended. Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp is pink. (If you are using cooked shrimp, turn off heat before adding the shrimp).

Transfer the tomato and shrimp mixture into an oven-safe casserole dish. Top with feta and Parmesan cheese. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes, or until the cheese melts.

Serve over cooked penne pasta. Enjoy!



Before baked in oven:


After Baked in Oven.


Over Pasta ... Minutes before I ate this delicious meal. 


Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At November 15, 2010 at 3:52 AM , Blogger Gina Alfani said...

mmmmm I'll have to try this :-)

Thanks for visiting my blog and following . . . I'm following you back!!

Have a wonderful week . . . Gina

http://peacelovehappinesshappens.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home