Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Crockpot Recipe: Balsamic and Honey Chicken Drumsticks

Sorry for the lack of posts recently. I have been stressed and keeping myself fairly busy. I had to give up my adorable foster puppy, due to her having fleas, ticks, and puppy worms. I do miss her dearly, and I still would love to own a dog. But until I am more stable in my life, I've decided that the puppy idea will have to wait. 

Tonight, I decided to use my crock pot to cook my dinner. I had bought chicken drumsticks a few weeks ago, and they have just been sitting in my freezer. So, I decided to do something about it. However, my work schedule has been rather hectic this week. (I missed several days of work last week due to a horrible sinus infection and ear infection that I am slowly overcoming). I've been working very long hours, and I simply do not have the time or energy to cook.

I recently purchased a 4-quart slow cooker (ceramic crock pot). I am rather new to the idea of slow cooking, but my boss's wife is always raving about how wonderful her slow cooker is. So, I decided to give it a shot. 

I thawed my chicken drumsticks, seasoned them with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, dried basil, local Pulaski honey, a pinch of salt, and black pepper. I didn't do any of this until this morning, when I was rushing out the door, so I did not marinate the chicken ahead of time. I've read that some cooks like to marinate the meat overnight. But my meal still came out perfectly delicious. 
Here's how my chicken looked when I returned home this evening:



Simply delicious! The chicken drumsticks only cost about $3. And I got three servings out of this meal. $1 a serving was not bad, and it is simply delicious!  As a side dish, I enjoyed broccoli penne pasta.

Crock Pot - Balsamic and Honey Chicken Drumsticks 

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoon honey 
5 or 6 chicken drumsticks 

In a large plastic bag, add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dried basil leaves, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and honey. Seal the bag up and shake to mix all the ingredients. 

Add chicken drumsticks to the plastic bag. Seal bag and shake to coat the chicken. Make sure that the chicken is well-coated. If desired, you can marinate the chicken overnight. But this is optional.

Place the chicken drumsticks on the bottom of your crock pot or slow cooker. Top with marinade. Cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours. 

Serve and enjoy! 



Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At November 30, 2010 at 12:12 PM , Blogger Gina Alfani said...

WOW those chicken drumsticks look delicious :-)

Thanks for following my blog . . . I am following you too!

Have an awesome day . . . Gina

http://ginasitaliankitchen.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home